- Algebra tiles
- Whiteboards and markers (optional)
- Students create a design using algebra tiles.
- Play music and have students circulate.
- When the music stops students must sit at a desk and simplify another students design using the zero principle.
- Students write the resulting polynomial on the whiteboard and identify as a monomial, binomial or trinomial.
- Repeat the same activity at the new desk or as an extension you could ask them to create a design that simplifies to a particular polynomial expresssion. (eg. x2 - 3x + 4)
Did you use this activity? Do you have a way to make it better? If so tell us in the comment section. Thanks